Thursday, December 12, 2013

Santa Clause.

 So, I have been asked lately considering it's Christmas time if  Leon and I were going to teach Evelynne to believe in Santa Clause. Now Leon and I both grew up without believing in Santa. And we both don't feel like we missed out on a exciting Christmas  tradition. Yes, my parents had Santa Clause decor around the house (That honestly would creep me out a bit!) But they were always teaching us kids that Jesus was the real reason for the season. In fact on a majority of our gifts they would put "Love Jesus" to remind  us of His true gift.

Now, hear me out when I say I have NOTHING against parents who teach their kids to believe in Santa. Nothing at all. You are a great mama if you  encourage your child to believe in Santa  and you are a great mama if you don't. Now with that being said..


For us, the choice has really come down to our relationship with Evelynne. We have and will always want her to know that we will teach her the truth. And that  the true meaning of Christmas is not about a white bearded man who lives in the south pole and loves cookies.

But the true meaning of Christmas is the celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Who has come into the world to heal the sick, raise the dead, to bring joy and life  into this world once again.

Who sacrificed Himself on the cross for us so that we may have everlasting life in His Magnificent presence. For Leon and I we believe that's magical enough. And that Jesus should have ALL the Glory at Christmas and every day for that matter. And not have to share it with a man of imagination.

Of course we'll teach her about Santa and how he came from St Nick and the beautiful history behind that.

Some may think we're taking the fun out of Christmas for Evelynne by taking Santa  from a child’s Christmas experience, but Leon and I  don’t see or feel  that way at all! In fact, if taking Santa away from Christmas takes away the “experience” of it, then why  are we really celebrating Christmas  anyway? What is the real meaning of Christmas to you?

We believe Jesus is forever the real reason for the season. And we want our daughter to know this her whole life. Not just when she's to old to believe in Santa.

4 comments:

  1. I know she is a bit young for it now but for future reference there is actually a pretty good veggie tales movie that tells about how Saint Nickolas became Santa Clause and then also emphasizes that Jesus is the real reason we celebrate. It puts the emphasis on giving because we are happy that Jesus came into the world and he gives us so much.
    Hahah anyway that was longer than I expected! But hopefully helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, you have to do what you think is best! I am doing the Santa thing, but I've been reading some clever ways to incorporate the two. Jesus is the reason for season and I hope my daughters always know and remember this. You are so right though, Christmas is magical without Santa and if it's only magical because of Santa for some, I feel bad for them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I know for us, as Paisley gets older we want her to understand what Christmas is really all about. So much of what Christmas really means gets shoved to the sides anymore and this is a great reminder of what this season is all about! Love your little ones name!! Such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said. I just asked my husband the other night what (if anything) we want to teach our daughter about Santa when she's old enough (she's 11 months)...we didn't really come to any decision yet...we'll probably wait for next year when she's older. I don't really remember believing in Santa either, and like you, don't feel like I missed out on anything. I really like what you said about our kids always knowing the real reason for Christmas - not just when they've outgrown Santa. Thanks for these thoughts. Stopping by from the Mom Lovin hop, will be following on Bloglovin. :)
    Nancy @ My Little Criatura

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!

I try to respond to every comment so make sure you come back. Much love xoxo